Last week at this time, the long Ez looked like this.
A week later, today it looks like this.
Yesterday I was able to spend about 4 hours sanding. I switched to 80 grit for more finesse and to slow down the micro removal. I know the Cory Bird technique says you only need to contour the micro to 36 grit before the epoxy wipe, but I am new to contouring, and wanted to go to 80 to help me visualize the high and low spots as well as to force my impatient self to slow down.
While I was working the 80 grit, it got out my 4 ft level as a straight edge reference. I was able to find a few high spots, but for the most part was happy with how flat the wings are turning out. I concentrated my efforts in the high spots and have gotten to where the high spots are about 1/16 of an inch. The good news is I still have plenty of micro to work with. So I will keep going with the 80 until I get the surface to about half that variance or less. Also to where I have removed as much micro (weight) as possible. That will be next weeks task.
I also have a few areas I need to patch some micro into. I know this is not ideal, and will lead to hard spots, but it has to be done. Hopefully I can contour out any of those hard spots in the epoxy wipe stage.
Today I didn’t work on the airplane at all. But I did spend my self imposed hour minimum in the shop. I have a project for a friend I have been neglecting. He is restoring a 1970’s Ski Nautique, and needed his bow scoop fixed. You cannot buy another one anywhere.
When we first started the repair, it was in so many pieces, that the only way to do. It right was to. Reassemble what we could into a plug and make a mould. I have been bondoing and contour sanding to regain the original shape. We are finally there, so I did an epoxy wipe on it with West System epoxy, and will sand for primer when I get back in the shop.