Yesterday was another one of those days. I am home from training and I was able to kill two birds with one stone. I was fortunate enough to have my good friend Michael in the shop an not only spend time with him, but make some progress.
You may remember that I have had a part overdue for Michael for almost a year now. We are making an induction scoop for the top of the bow on his 1970s vintage Ski Nautique ski boat. It is a fiberglass part and gets covered in vinyl. Michael’s was broken by someone stepping on it. You cannot purchase these anymore, so we are making our own. If it comes out well, we may make a few extra and sell some to pay for our materials. We got the shape of the plug finalized today and have started priming. Next will be making the mold.
While we were working on the boat scoop, we also spent some time on the EZ. We dug some of the sheet wax out of the seams and started sanding the high spots. There is a lot of sheet wax and it really gets stuck tenaciously in those seams, so it took quite a bit of time to remove. Its unfortunate you cannot just sand over the top of it because it gums up the sandpaper instantly. The seems so far look like they are so-so. They have a tendency to look better as you sand more excess filler off. But I am quite certain that we are going to have to do some seam touch up after the fuselage is contoured.
As you can see, we still have quite a bit of sanding left to go.