It has been quite some time since I have been able to work in the Garaggio; at least 2 weeks. This has mostly been due to work, but my few off days have been chewed up with volunteer activities as well. Today I wasn’t planning to be able to work, but crew scheduling gave me the late on-call shift tomorrow. So I found myself with an extra 4 hours that I didn’t think I was going to have. I was able to spend two of those in the Garaggio. With only 2 hours, not a lot got done, but at least I am not letting the inertia for the project go to zero.
In the photos you can see that I purchased a set of Eureka CNC templates for the canard, as accurate as you can get. During my last workshop session, I was working on getting my canard contour dialed in, however I was quite certain that my hand made templates weren’t accurate enough. So the new templates will allow me to be more accurate and get better performance from the canard airfoil. I had to shorten the chord of the canard slightly. It was a bit longer than the template. This was good as it makes the template fit better.
The photos show that the contour of the top surface of the canard is pretty close, but still needs some work. I spent some time sanding on the canard today to allow me to better check the contour. The part that the photos don’t show is the bottom template. Those surfaces are way off. In addition, my canard may be too thick. We will work to get it as close to the templates as we can stand. We will see how that goes.
I also spent some time today sanding the primer on the bottom of the wings and ailerons. It sanded out pretty well, but it is apparent we will need yet another round of primer.
The next few weeks will be filled with work, volunteer obligations, the AirVenture Cup Race, and Oshkosh. So while I won’t be crossing tasks off the project list, I will be making copious deposits to the motivation bank. Don’t give up on me, I promise I will be back to regular progress and the associated posts.