5 Years for Betty

November 2nd was the fifth anniversary of Betty’s first flight. So in celebration we had to take Betty flying, of course. As luck would have it, Jon was here on a layover to celebrate. Jon helped me on Betty all the way back to the early days, I think even the first year I wasContinue reading “5 Years for Betty”

Preparation

I was hoping to have Tool Cowl Serial Number 2 done by today. But as these project go, multiply time estimates by 2 and add a couple weeks, cost estimates by 3 and add one aviation unit. You’ll be close. The last few days I have been distracted with errands, maintenance on the Legacy (itContinue reading “Preparation”

Wet Sanding, New Tools, and a Visitor

The last two days were filled with wet sanding the aft top tool cowl. Last we left off, I had sprayed black primer on the surface. This was to give me a guide coat. As you start sanding the primer on the highs sands away and the low spots remain black. This gives more ofContinue reading “Wet Sanding, New Tools, and a Visitor”

Rear Engine Top Cowl

This is going to be a bit of a longer post, so please bear with me. I am going to try to get the blog up to date as of today, then keep it current going forward…. WHAT??? It could happen. As I mentioned in a previous blog post, the cowls don’t fit. Neither frontContinue reading “Rear Engine Top Cowl”

Brakes, Baffles, and Wipe

Today Greg came over and he spent a lot of time working on baffles. I helped here and there in between different things. I think we can say that we have the lion’s share done on the metal pieces. All sections┬áseem to be fitting well now and most anchor points are reinforced and mounted toContinue reading “Brakes, Baffles, and Wipe”

Inventory Management fail

Started today by working on the brake system. About as far as I got was mounting the reservoirs to the master cylinders. I figured out that I didn’t have the right tubing to make the transition from the master cylinder to the fuselage lines. I had nylaflow, and need nylaseal. It seems that I needContinue reading “Inventory Management fail”

Pipe Clearance

The cowl layup I┬ádid yesterday was cured so it is time to hack away at some more carbon and foam. In this photo you can see we are adding a fair amount of volume to the interior of the exhaust tunnels. Of course, a safety selfie for mom’s benefit… A mixture of a fein saw,Continue reading “Pipe Clearance”

More of the same

This is a short post for a full day of work. Greg and I continued work securing baffle pieces, adding doublers and nut plates, and riveting things together. There is still more of this to come to finish out the accessory case baffles and inter cylinder baffles. We also got the first layup in theContinue reading “More of the same”

Holy Cow-l

Greg and I spent the majority of the day in the Garaggio. Greg mostly worked on baffles, and I worked on wiring and the cowl fit. For the baffles, Greg had to do a little bit more trimming, then it was locating and drilling holes to secure pieces together and to the engine. In someContinue reading “Holy Cow-l”